Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Rest/Active Rest Day

I love to run and exercise. It is a part of my life, just like brushing my teeth. This Saturday I did Power Yoga, felt strong, Sunday I had a great 10 mile run. My legs felt strong, heart rate was perfect, felt like I could have run another 30 minute longer. Monday came and my grand plan was to run again with that same great feeling, except my body wanted NO part or a run. It was time to take a rest or active rest day. When that happens you need to respect what the good old body is saying. So I did and instead of doing nothing I did Pilates (active rest activity of choice). It is a great compliment to a well rounded workout routine. It is none weight bearing, challenging, and I actually feel taller and stronger. So if you are not feeling like a run or cardio, relax. Try something different (yoga, mat Pilates) of take the rest your body requires. I promise the next day you will feel refreshed and rejuvenated, I do all the time and you reduce your chances of injury.
Oh and one more silly thing girls, you will not get fat by taking a rest or active rest day it is the best thing you can do for yourself and will lead to future workout success.

No comments:

Post a Comment