Thursday, March 17, 2011

3rd Place Cake Boss

This past Tuesday, I participated in NCJW Bake Off for "Cake Boss." Now we all know that I am not a baker. When the invitation to make a cake for charity presented itself I had to step up to the plate. So I asked around for different cake ideas, chocolate, vanilla, red velvet, carrot, what was I to do.. So I tought about what my favorite cake would be. I also wanted the cake to represent me. As all my clients know, Luce resturant in Caldwell, NJ is my favorite makes the best Coconut Pie, and when I am in South Beach I search for the best Coconut Gelato. Needless to say coconut became my flavor of choice inspired by my love for Luce's pie and South Beache gelato.
Coconut itself was boring I wanted to wow Buddy over with taste as well as presentation. So Pina Colada became the 3rd place cake. It was so much fun to make and the flavors blended really well together, and I must say I impressed myself with the presentation. So here is the recipe for you to try.
Pina Colada Cake
1/2 Cup of toasted Coconut
1 Box of white cake mix with the pudding included in the mix
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup 100% natural pineapple juice
1/3 cup light Bicardi Rum
4 Egg Whites
1 can of pineapple filling (Whole Foods or Shop Rite)
Simple Syrup
1/2 cup of pineapple juice
1/2 cup of sugar
Frosting
2 containers of vanilla whipped frosting
1 TBSP rum extract
1 cup toasted coconut
Preheat the oven to 350. Place your coconut (toast the whole bag) on a baking sheet for about 5-7 minutes. Be careful it brown quickly. Remove from the oven and place to the side.
Lightly flour or spray your 9 inch round cake pans. In a bowl, combine your cake mix, water, rum, oil, toasted coconut, and pineapple juice together. Blend on low for about a minute and then on medium for 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the 2 cake pans and place in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Once it is done remove and let it cool for about 1 hour. In a small sauce pan bring to a boil your syrup (1/2 cup pineapple juice and 1/2 cup sugar). Using a long-tined fork or the other end of a wooden spoon poke large holes all over the cake and pour the syrup over the cake so it gets moist and flavor infused. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours till you frost it. Once cooled take your icing and add the rum, stirring it together. Remove cakes from pan and place on a cake dish. Ice your bottom cake very thin. Then take your pineapple cake fill and put a small layer on top of the cake. Place your other cake on top and frost it as well. At this point frost the entire cake. Top with the rest of the toasted coconut and refrigerate for another hour. Decorate as you wish and serve.
FYI: This is NOT a kid friendly dessert, it does have rum.
This is going to be our official summer dessert. Very proud of the work we did.

No comments:

Post a Comment