Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Healthy Banana Cookies (or Bars)

Last week I was on a mission to find a small ingredient, healthy cookie that Frank and I could eat that wouldn't mess the waistline, had some form of nutrients, and took me all of 10 minutes to make after a long day at work. I came across these banana bars in the store and decided to try and make a small cookie that mimicked it. I google searched a ton of recipes and believe me there are plenty...but here was what I came up with and they were really good, and healthy. Ingredients: 1 cup rolled oats 4 small riped bananas 1/2 cup chopped dates 1 tsp vanilla extract 1/3 cup vegetable oil Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl mash up your bananas, add all the rest of your ingredients and mix well. Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and place your cookies about 1 inch apart. Use a tsp to measure how big your cookies will be. You may need to shape them with your hands as well. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes and let them cool for about 10. Tips: These cookies can be made into small bars, if you like. They can also be good breakfast cookies...(no more then 2 servings). You get a well balanced treat here with the potassium from the banana the fiber from the dates and whole grains from the rolled oats. They are a light healthy treat that you can make and keep in a container for up to a week. If you are not a fan of dates add cranberries, or chopped walnuts, shaved coconuts. Whatever you enjoy is fine. So let me know what you think and healthy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment