Thursday, August 26, 2010

Healthy Leftover Creation

So the other day I got home late (as did Frank) and needed to get dinner on the table really fast. I forgot to get a protein (chicken or fish) set out the night before so I had to go with what was left in the fridge. I'll call this meal the "Healthy Leftover Creation." So here it goes: I must say I'm very proud of it! Ingredients: 1/2 Rotisserie Chicken Breast (diced) 1/2 Eggplant (diced) 1 yellow squash (diced) 1 head of Asparagus (diced) 2 Cups of Green beans (already steamed in Microwave) 1/2 jar of Marinara 2 squirts of Pesto 1 can diced low sodium tomatoes few sprinkles of Ms. Dash (Tomato, Basil, and Garlic) seasoning 8 Large Olives diced 1 cup Low fat Mozzarella 2 TBSP Sun dried Tomatoes Chopped Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and take out a large baking dish. This meal is all about tossing everything together into a dish and adding the final touches. Start by placing your diced tomatoes on the bottom, then toss in some diced chicken, eggplant, squash, asparagus, green beans, a little tomato sauce, a squirt of pesto, a touch of seasoning, sun dried tomatoes, and olives. This is a "drop, toss, and bake" kind of dish. I did not layer, or get fancy. Remember, it's leftovers that you are baking in a short period of time, so be creative and have fun with it. What I do recommend is to leave your mozzarella for the end and top the dish with it. This leaves for a nice presentation. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, and serve. Notes: I had fun making this dish and it got me to use my leftovers which were pretty healthy. No need to order in or go out. I served this dish with whole grain pasta for Frank and he loved it. It's a great way to get a healthy - yummy meal on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment