Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Grilled Vegetable Bake

OK so this recipe I was really excited to make and even more excited to try. I call it my girlie version of lasagna. I would have been happier if Frank was more excited at first bite, but I guess him finishing the whole tray was all the proof I needed. If you love vegetables and want a healthy impress your guests meal try this with a side salad or grilled chicken. Ingredients: 1 Eggplant (cut length wise or into circle) 1 Yellow Squash (cut length wise) 1 Zucchini (cut length wise) 1 Fennel Bulb (cut into pieces) 1 Tomato (sliced) 1 small container (part skim) ricotta 1 Bag of part skim mozzarella 1 Jar Tomato sauce 1-2 good squirts of pesto (tube) Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Take all of your sliced vegetables and place then on your sprayed grill. Make sure they are just about tender before you remove them. In a small bowl spoon out about 3-4 TBSP of the ricotta, with your squirts of pesto and mix together. In a baking dish layer a ladle of your tomato sauce on the bottom. Place you eggplant on top and spread a bit of your ricotta over the vegetable you don't want to cover everything just coat a bit of each piece. Then sprinkle some of your mozzarella, and sauce and repeat the same pattern for the squash and zucchini (I layered the zucchini and squash together) but you can do whatever you like. Once I get to the top layer I place the fennel around the sides of the dish and my tomatoes in the middle. Finish it off with another handful of mozzarella, and bake covered for about 20 minutes. Remember the vegetables are already cooked, you are just heating all the other ingredients together so the flavors combine. Once your cheese has melted a bit remove the lid or foil and bake for another 10 minutes. This dish can be served right away or made in advance and served the next day. Notes: When I did this dish I made it in advance and let it rest. I reheated the dish at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and had a side salad. Also don't be afraid of a little ricotta remember you are not using to much and it is part skim. If you want my recommendation for a GREAT Jar Sauce I found Lidia's (Tomato Basil or Marinara) both are filled with flavor and low in salt. Its what I use if I can't make my own, and with my schedule most times I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment