Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Healthy Holiday Recipe Sides

So this weekend I made Thanksgiving sided for my clients. It was fun and all of these recipes are super simple and easy. My mother was my helper for the day and we had a lot of fun and made some great dishes. Butternut Squash Soup Ingredients: 2-1/2 -3cups Butternut Squash (fresh or frozen) if fresh roast first for 20-25minutes @425 1 1/2 containers of Low Sodium; Low Fat vegetable or Chicken broth 1 TBSP Olive Oil 1 Large Onion (diced) 1 TBSP Garlic (minced) 1/4 tsp Curry Powder 1 TBSP Honey Crushed Black Pepper Take your oil and saute your garlic and onion till the onions are translucent. Place your butternut squash in the pot and stir so the flavors start to combine. Add your broth and let the whole thing simmer for about 15 minutes on medium low heat. Take your emulsifier and puree the vegetables till smooth. Add your curry powder, honey and black pepper. Taste to make sure that it is to your liking and let in sit covered for about 10 to 15 minutes and serve. Tips: This was the 3rd time I made this soup and I tried to do it as clean as I could with as few ingredients as possible. I made 4 pots of this soup. Every one came out a little different. By time we got to the 4th pot Frank was done testing. The end result was great...a low sodium soup filled with healthy vitamins and superfood powers. Whipped Sweet Potatoes Ingredients: 4-6 Sweet Potatoes (Roasted in foils) Dash Cinnamon Dash Nutmeg 2 TBSP Organic Maple Syrup 1-2 cups Unsweetened Almond Breeze (container) Preheat Oven 425 degrees. This recipe requires what I call the taste test ingredient adder. Place potatoes on the sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes, or until soft. Using a mixer (Kitchen Aide) place the potatoes (skin off), add ½ cup of Almond Breeze, 1 TBSP of syrup, and the dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg. Start the blender on a low whip and make sure all the lumps are out. Taste…it should be smooth and creamy if not do the process over till it is to your liking. Once you have found the right taste, get a baking dish and spray it with non stick spray. Place your potato mixture in the dish and sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Bake in the 425 oven for about 10 to 15 minutes just so all the ingredients blend together. Take out and serve. Tips: This dish is by far my favorite. It was given to me by a dear friend who is a diabetic with a gluten allergy. I was a bit uneasy about the dish because I had not idea what Almond Breeze was but when I tried the dish I was impressed. So was my mother. Whipped Cauliflower Ingredients: 2-3 Bags of 16 oz Frozen cauliflower (cooked) 2 Tbsp Olive Oil 2-3 Tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese ½ cup Italian seasons bread crumbs 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Cook up you cauliflower till tender, and drain. Using a mixer place you cauliflower. Start to add the rest of the ingredients a little at a time and taste as you go. The idea is that you want this to be like whipped fully and then placed in the oven. Start by adding a bit of olive oil, then a sprinkle of bread crumb, the garlic, and cheese. Mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes. Check the flavors and add whatever you feel is missing from the list above. Once it is at the consistence desired, place into a sprayed casserole dish. Put a little more grated cheese on top and bake till just about bubbly on the side. (About 20 minutes) Tips: This dish has been in my family for a long time. We grew up with it as kids. For awhile I thought it was potatoes till one day I watched my mom make it and saw it was a veggie. Now my sister and I make it all the time for the holidays. Out in law always request it so it is made a lot, and tastes better every time. Sauted Green Beans Ingredients: 1 Large Bag or Green Beans (1-2lbs) 1 TBSP Olive Oil 1 TSP garlic (minced) 2 TBSP Sesame Seeds Take your beans and flash steam them in the microwave, or boil/blanch them. If you use the microwave, place a wet paper towel over the beans. Remove and place into your skillet that has already been sauteing with your garlic. Stir the beans around to coat and let it sit covered for about 5 minutes. Add your sesame seeds stir and serve. Tips: I love this dish because it is quick, easy and healthy. I like it hot and cold. Hope you enjoy it as well. I have also made this dish with grape tomatoes if you are feeling brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment