Friday, December 11, 2009

What is Pilates? Can I do it? Of course you can! (and you should).

Lately everyone is asking me the same question; What is Pilates? Is it just stretching or ABS? My frustrated answer is NO! It is not just stretching, it is movement with breath and control of the torso; which includes the ABS along with other muscles.I must admit that when I first started Pilates I was in it for the "ABS" work; until I took my first session. I couldn't believe the work we were doing. I was working muscles I never even touched on in my years of training . Better still was the relaxation and energy rush I got from all the deep breathing my diaphragm was doing, it was unbelievable. After a few sessions I wanted to learn all I could about Pilates, this led to Certification and eventually my teaching of this amazing concept. It has been 5 years since my first experience with Pilates and what I can say is "if you are truly interested is give it a shot you won't be sorry."My suggestion is that you start with a one on one until you feel comfortable with the movements, then join in on small group classes. They are challenging, enjoyable and I promise that you will feel better when you leave both in mind and body.

No comments:

Post a Comment